Saturday, July 4, 2020

HERE'S WHERE THE STORY ENDS


Above are some of the VHF / UHF stations from my youth.

NO MORE DVDs FOR ME......

I'm going to try and make a long story short... I got rid of my DVD player and ninety-nine percent of my DVDs.

Once upon a time, I only watched movies on television, at drive-in theaters, and walk-in theaters. Ok, that's not entirely true, I also saw them via projectors at schools, and at a friend's garage. His brother had dirty film reels.

I recently realized, that watching movies at theaters and on television left more of a lasting impression on me, than repeatedly watching them anytime I want on DVD. In those days, I didn't get tired of certain movies, because I never knew when I would get to watch them again.

As I mentioned before, I kept a few DVDs and VHS tapes. Why?, because they were given to me by family members, and that makes them priceless to me.

From now on, I'm only going to watch flicks on television and the internet.


Screengrabs above are of Larry Vincent, when he moved to channel five ( KTLA ). He had previously been on channel nine ( KHJ ).


Screengrab above is from a ZENITH tv commercial from 1973.

I miss watching flicks on old style television sets, with VHF / UHF channel selectors.


Above is a newspaper ad for PACIFIC drive-in theaters ( from March 1975 ).

I also miss watching movies at dirve-in theaters.



PHOTOS REALLY ARE TIME MACHINES.....

I've been reading reviews for a book called MIDCENTURY MEMORIES THE ANONYMOUS PROJECT ( published by Taschen - ISBN 9783836575843 ).

This book seems to get an emotional response from almost everyone that looks at it.

I,ve been going through a TON of slides, negatives, and photos. The photos were taken by one of my family members that died last year. This has been an extremely emotional experience.

I've also been going through my own photographic artifacts - and all the emotions they bring to the surface.


Above are screengrabs from the tv show MAD MEN.

I'm reminded of a MAD MEN episode, in which they're talking about a KODAK slide projector. That episode really hits close to home.



TIME TRAVELING WITH BILL AND TED.....

I want to see BILL AND TED FACE THE MUSIC. However, I have NO desire to enter an INDOOR THEATER.



QUESTION... If time machines existed, would you use one of them?

I'm NOT sure I would. Sometimes, things work out for the best, even though we may not think so at the time.



PICK UP A BOOK AND READ!.....

I'm happy that more people are reading again.

I love fiction. YOU decide what the characters look like. YOU also decide what they sound like and so on.



I also read a lot of NON-fiction books. My favorites are about, transportation, architecture, photography, art, and a few other subjects.



I almost forgot to mention magazines.


Screengrab above is of Michael Uslan ( YouTube video ), and also the cover of THE BOY WHO LOVED BATMAN.

SOMETIMES DREAMS COME TRUE.....

A while ago I wrote about a book I found at DOLLAR TREE. It's called THE BOY WHO LOVED BATMAN ( published by Chronicle Books - ISBN 9780811875509 ). It's about a man named Michael Uslan. He's a producer, writer, and comic book fanatic.

In the YouTube video, he explains how he achieved his childhood dream.

It's a short, but fun, video. I think it's worth your time.


Screengrabs above are from a music video of THE SUNDAYS, performing HERE'S WHERE THE STORY ENDS.

TIME TO SAY GOODBYE.....

This blog has always been a happy diversion for me. HOWEVER, during the last four years, it's become more of a chore, than a pleasure. My heart really isn't into it anymore.

This will be the LAST TIME I UPDATE THIS BLOG.

I will leave it up, and check in from time to time.

For very personal reasons, my other blog - CLASS OF 1981 REGIONAL OCCUPATIONAL PROGRAM at CAMARILLO AIRPORT - will be my priority.



To everyone that left kind words on my blog, I sincerely THANK YOU!

I feel physically and emotionally drained.

I hope we can defeat the pandemic, and certain evil individuals. They have enjoyed destroying, dividing, and demoralizing us. It's time for it to end......

No comments:

Post a Comment