Monday, May 1, 2017

VENTRILOQUISTS GONE WILD!


Newspaper ad above is from Sydney Australia ( August 14, 1918 ).

EVIL WOOD!... that's what one of my ex-girlfriends used to say whenever I'd.... oh, nevermind.

The type of evil wood I'm going to write about today is called, a ventriloquist dummy.

I don't know why I like these types of movies, but I do.

I've always been creeped-out by ventriloquism.

A little reminder, ventriloquist dummies are NOT dolls or puppets - yes, there's a difference.

Below is a brief look at some of my favorite wooden actors and actresses.....



THE GREAT GABBO.....

I'm really not that fond of this flick, but I don't dislike it either. Anyway, Otto is creepy. If you're a true movie lover, then you need to watch this film at least once.

VHS?... Yes, by KINO.
DVD ( REGION ONE )?... Yes, by KINO ( as part of a double feature ). Also by ALPHA. Plus, MILL CREEK ENTERTAINMENT has also released this film in several of it's collections ( FAMILY CLASSICS 100 pack and CLASSIC MUSICALS 50 pack - to name just a few ).
BLU-RAY?... No, I don't think so.
ONLINE?... Yes.



DEVIL DOLL.....

I still remember the first time I saw this movie. I was a kid, and I got really freaked-out by Hugo. I could not sleep afterwards. These days, I laugh during some scenes, but I still like it.

VHS?... I don't think there was a legit release in the United States ( just grey-market tapes ).
DVD ( REGION ONE )?... Yes, by IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT.
BLU-RAY?... No, I don't think so.
ONLINE?... Yes.



MAGIC.....

I was scared by Fats, even when Anthony Hopkins wasn't with him. I still like this movie a lot.

VHS?... Yes, don't remember which company, or if more than one company released it.
DVD ( REGION ONE )?... Yes, by DARK SKY FILMS.
BLU-RAY?... Yes, by DARK SKY FILMS.
ONLINE?... Yes.



1941.....

Contrary to popular belief, this movie does have some funny moments in it.

Eddie Deezen is funny enough on his own, but when he gets together with a dummy, it's truly fucking hilarious.

VHS?... Yes, by UNIVERSAL.
DVD ( REGION ONE )?... Yes, by UNIVERSAL.
BLU-RAY?... Yes, by UNIVERSAL.
ONLINE?... Yes.



TRILOQUIST.....

I thought TRILOQUIST was harmless fun, and what's wrong with that?

VHS?... No.
DVD ( REGION ONE )?... Yes, by DIMENSION EXTREME.
BLU-RAY?... No, I don't think so.
ONLINE?... Yes.



DEAD SILENCE.....

I know a lot of folks don't like this flick, but I do - and that's all that matters to me.

I found the movie sufficiently scary.

VHS?... No.
DVD ( REGION ONE )?... Yes, by UNIVERSAL.
BLU-RAY?... Yes, by UNIVERSAL.
ONLINE?... Yes.


"Is that your nose, or are you happy to see me?".... Bea Arthur and Madame. Quote is NOT from the video - it's just me being a smart-ass.

WAYLAND FLOWERS.....

I was always creeped-out by Madame. probably, because she reminded me of a wooden Phyllis Diller.

If you watch Madame, don't blame me if you have nightmares... ha-ha-ha...

VHS?... I don't know.
DVD ( REGION ONE )?... I don't know.
BLU-RAY?... I don't care.
ONLINE?... Yes, a few clips here and there.


Screengrabs above from the BIG BANG THEORY ( episode - The Cognition Regeneration )... Quote by Tammy-Jo Saint Cloud, "If you don't mind a few splinters, we can have us a menage-a-trois... oooh"

THE BIG BANG THEORY.....

Tammy-Jo Saint Cloud is Bernadette's ventriloquist dummy. She's a creepy and horny little bitch! Howard gets more than he bargained for when he reunites them.

As I write this, season ten of THE BIG BANG THEORY has not been released on region one DVD ( or BLU-RAY ).

VHS?... NO.
DVD ( REGION ONE )?... Yes, by WARNER BROS.
BLU-RAY?... Yes, by WARNER BROS.
ONLINE?... Yes, plenty of clips and full episodes.

5 comments:

  1. My favorite ventriloquist bit in a movie is Nancy Allen with her talking rabbit puppet ("Catch us at the Pussycat!") in DePalma's HOME MOVIES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to search for that, because I don't remember ever seeing it.....

      Delete
  2. HOME MOVIES is twisted and funny, but overall seemed like a near-miss, despite the various elements present. Nancy Allen was my favorite part of the film, and Kirk Douglas was pretty funny as well. It's out of print now so the DVD is pretty expensive, kinda sorry now that I didn't pick up a copy when it was cheap. Oh wait... :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AfvkD6eqX0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS FOR THE YOUTUBE LINK!.....

      It's been such a long time since I've watched this movie, that I forgot that I had ever seen it - hope that makes sense.

      I'm going to mention it in my next post.....

      Delete
  3. And I can't believe I actually owned a copy of the Pino Donaggio soundtrack LP! A fun music score for a wacky movie!

    ReplyDelete