Monday, August 26, 2013

BRIEF SALUTE TO LAUREN GRAHAM


Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson ( GILMORE GIRLS )


Lauren Graham ( PRINCETON REVIEW's student admissions television )

Not many folks are genuinely gifted at both drama and comedy, but Lauren Graham definitely is.

I don't think Ms. Graham has ever received the credit she deserves, and I don't think she ever will.

I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again, most award shows are odes to nepotism, mediocrity, and ass-kissing.

She's got more talent and creativity in one fingertip than half the folks in Hollywood combined.


Lauren Graham in PARENTHOOD


Cover for Lauren Graham's first novel

Ms. Graham also writes. Her first novel is called SOMEDAY, SOMEDAY, MAYBE. It's published by BALLANTINE BOOKS - ISBN ( 978-0345532749 ).



If you've ever seen her appearances on the talk shows hosted by Craig Ferguson, Conan O'Brien, and Jimmy Fallon, then you know what an incredible personality this woman has. She seems extremely witty. She also has an overwhelmingly endearing quality.


Craig Ferguson groping Lauren's boot... and who can blame him?


Lauren Graham and Jimmy Fallon singing "BALLS IN YOUR MOUTH"...


Lauren Graham in a early 90's tv commercial for CASCADE ( left ), and from one of her NEWSRADIO episodes ( right ).



"Fuck me santa!, fuck me santa!, fuck me santa!, fuck me santa!, fuck me santa!, fuck me santa!, fuck me santa!, fuck me santa!"

The above quote is from BAD SANTA. Those beautiful words are heard during a TENDER and HEARTWARMING LOVE SCENE between Lauren Graham's character and Billy Bob Thornton's character.

I'm not crazy about BAD SANTA, but I don't hate it either.

I remember hating all the media hype surrounding Bernie Mac. Running from two erupting volcanos, while being stabbed in one eye, and forced to watch Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump engage in kinky sex, would be far more pleasant than watching him do his shtick.

My favorite thing about the movie? What do you think?... A certain leggy brunette.


"Tom, I'm lovin' ya like a two dollar whore..." QUOTE from GILMORE GIRLS ( season 4 )

Most folks seem to know Ms. Graham from a television show called GILMORE GIRLS.

Lauren portrayed Lorelai Gilmore , and Alexis Bledel played Rory, her teenage daughter.

Lorelai ran away from home when she was a pregnant teenager.

Her parents LOVED and SUPPORTED her. I repeat, Lorelai was NOT abused mentally or physically. Her parents did NOT shun her. They loved her.... And yet, she proceeded to act selfishly, and thoughtlessly. Her actions devastated her parents ( played by Kelly Bishop and Edward Herrmann ).

Lorelai still harbors a lot of unwarranted anger towards her parents, and her mother reciprocates some of those feelings.



When GILMORE GIRLS was new, I remember reading some very negative criticisms about it. I could always tell who really watched the show, and who was just BLOWING SMOKE UP PEOPLE'S ASSES.

Most of those liars, would post almost identical rants. They'd call the show, a "typical wholesome sitcom", when nothing could be further from the truth.



First of all, it's NOT a sitcom. It was a drama with tons of dark, and sometimes raunchy humor.

Secondly, many episodes ended on a somewhat dark note.

Lorelai, was full of flaws.

I'm NOT going to say I loved everything about the show, because I didn't. I found some things irritating - especially, during the last few seasons, but I saw it through to the end.

The characters were three-dimensional human beings, and what's wrong with being human?.....

No comments:

Post a Comment