Saturday, September 21, 2013

REMEMBERING MTV, MUSIC VIDEOS, AND MORE.... PART 1



PART 1 OF 4

Once upon a time, the M in MTV stood for music, NOT mierda ( that means "shit" to you folks in the northeast ).

Tons of music videos filled the screen... all day and all night.

MTV also had news about the artists, and interviews.

It changed for the worse, so I stopped watching... and I NEVER went back.



Most of the videos that were shown, were extremely entertaining. They were also creative and clever.



Some of my favorite music acts from the eighties and nineties are listed below.....
A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS - ABC - AC / DC - ADAM AND THE ANTS ( plus Adam Ant solo ) - ANIMOTION - ART OF NOISE - B52's - BANANARAMA - THE BANGLES - BILLY IDOL - BLONDIE - BOW WOW WOW - THE CLASH - THE CURE - DEF LEPPARD - DEPECHE MODE - DEVO - ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN - ERASURE - GENE LOVES JEZEBEL - THE GO GOs ( plus Jane Wiedlin solo & Belinda Carlisle solo ) - HUMAN LEAGUE - ICE HOUSE - ICICLE WORKS - INXS - J. GEILS BAND - JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS - JOSIE COTTON - KATE BUSH - LEVEL 42 - LOREENA MCKENNITT - LOVE & ROCKETS - MIDNIGHT OIL - MIGHTY LEMON DROPS - NEW ORDER - OMD - PAT BENATAR - PET SHOP BOSYS - PSYCHEDELIC FURS - THE ROMANTICS - ROXY MUSIC ( plus Bryan Ferry solo ) - SCANDAL - SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES - SPARKS - SPLIT ENZ - THE SMITHS ( plus Morrissey solo ) - STRAY CATS - SUZANNE VEGA - TALKING HEADS - THOMPSON TWINS - TIL TUESDAY - U2 - VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE - WALL OF VOODOO ( plus Stan Ridgway solo ) - YAZ - ZZ TOP - and many others.....


THE BOOMTOWN RATS performing I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS ( right ), and a newspaper clipping of the story that inspired the song ( left ).

Partial lyrics to I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS.....

"Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays?
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays?
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays?
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oot
the whole day down, down, down... shoot it all down

and all the playing's stopped in the playground now
she wants to play with the toys a while
and school's out early and soon we'll be learning
and the lesson today is how to die
and then the bullhorn crackles
and the captain tackles
with the problems of the hows and whys
and he can see no reasons
cause there are no reasons
what reason do you need to die, die?
oooh, oooh, oooh

tell me why
I don’t like Mondays?".....


THE CLASH performing THIS IS RADIO CLASH


Josie Cotton performing HE COULD BE THE ONE.... Sing it baby!... Sing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment