Saturday, September 21, 2013

REMEMBERING MTV, MUSIC VIDEOS, AND MORE.... PART 2


Clockwise... screengrabs form SPARKS, LOVE & ROCKETS, SPIT ENZ, and BUGGLES music videos

PART 2 OF 4

Cinematic happiness pills... That's how I describe most of the music videos that were made from 1980 to 1995.

These videos were like short experimental films.

They were truly an ART FORM back then.

Even when songs had dark lyrics, they were performed with so much enthusiasm and subversive joy, that you couldn't stop smiling while you watched them.

I always looked forward to new music videos by THE B52s, DEVO, SPARKS, and MANY MANY others.


FYI: The B-52's have put more smiles on my face than any other musical act.....


Julie Brown ( the REAL one ) performing THE HOMECOMING QUEEN'S GOT A GUN



VOICE OF THE BEEHIVE's music video of I SAY NOTHING is one of my all time favorites... It never fails to put a smile on my face.

Partial lyrics to I SAY NOTHING.....

"I'll say nothing.
I'll talk to no-one

there is a place somewhere
some times you'll find me there
and If I am alone
I will be sitting on the stairs
I'll be as good as new
one of the lucky few
who's laughing at the joke and
as I leave I laugh for you

but I say nothing
I talk to no-one
I know what I believe
don't need to wear it on my sleeve
I talk to no-one
I will say nothing
if we come and go alone
then what's the point of carrying these arcades?

I'll say nothing.
I'll talk to no-one
I will say nothing.
I'll talk to no-one... but you"


J. GEILS BAND performing CENTERFOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment